Twitter has lifted its ban on President Donald Trump, but his latest video feels like a concession speech. Trump had issued a similar statement this morning through a surrogate account – that of White House social media director Dan scavino.
The president’s own account was locked on Wednesday after a mob of his supporters broke into the US Capitol. A Twitter spokesperson confirmed Thursday morning that the tweets in question had been removed.
Trump is now at risk of a permanent ban if he continues to violate Twitter rules around misinformation and incitement of violence. Once Trump leaves the White House on January 20th, he’ll also lose special’public interest’ protections that applied to his account while he was in office.
Twitter banned Trump on Wednesday over a series of tweets spreading lies about the election outcome and a video the company said posed a’risk of violence’. In that video, Trump reiterated his false claims that the election was stolen and praised the mob that broke into the US Capitol, and told them it was time to’go home’.
Facebook and YouTube removed the same video from Trump. Ceo Mark Zuckerberg said the risks are’simply too great’ to allow him to remain.
Trump’s new video still includes misinformation. Twitter says it wo n’t be placing a label on the Tweet.